This is not a new diet for sure. Why? In facts, the Paleo diet is already a natural nutritional style since the human start to using stick and stone for surviving.
At the beginning of human development, we were all hunters and gathering foods. As the settlement started to established, our eating habits slowly change. Grains were planted, fields were cultivated, bread baked, and food processed more strongly.
What is the Paleo diet definition?
Some people can call it Stone age diet, or also widely known as the Paleo-diet. It is a derivative word from the term “Paleolithic” which is a prehistoric period of human history distinguished by the usage and development primitive stone as a tool.
This diet is oriented towards those foods that were also part of the available sources at the time of the Paleolithic period. Although the name “diet” after Paleo is a little bit misleading, as it is strictly speaking less about a diet, it is still a form of nutritional lifestyle.
The proponents of this nutritional concept of the Paleo diet, assume that our stomach and digestive system have not changed much since we were evolved. The nutritional form is therefore based on the eating habits of the Stone age people.
From a biological and evolutionary point of view, we are talking about a very short period of time in which our lives have changed. In fact, we are dealing with a period of over 10,000 years. The time span maybe not enough, for us to physically adapt the cereals and dairy products. And looking at those problems, many people have claimed the theory of the Paleo diet seems to confirm and reasonable.
Did you notice that more and more consumers are suffering from lactose, gluten or severe abdominal pain after the enjoyment of whole grain products? Paleo seems to be the solution here.
But how exactly does a Paleo diet actually look like?
This diet contains foods list that could also be collected by our ancestors. This includes various vegetables, a little fruit, nuts and high-quality lean meat and fish.
As we know, Paleo is oriented on the way in which our ancestors have nourished themselves since the Stone age and that is before agriculture and livestock farming established. The diet gives an overview which are the foods to include and which are not.
All Paleo foods have a fundamental element in common. They originate directly from nature and have been created and grown without human intervention. In other words, there are no wheat or grains products and even sweets in the Paleo diet.
What are the main components of the Paleo diet plan?
Cereal products, including those created by processing, are absolutely a restriction. The same applies to dairy products that are already in criticism in many forms of nutrition. In other words, this means saying goodbye to our beloved breakfast bread, pizza, the yogurt in the evening or your sweet caffe latte. Even foods that are edible after their preparation, such as olives, many legumes and the like, are henceforth banned.
Many Paleo-menus are consist of low carbs and high protein as the main components. In addition to vegetables, fruit and natural protein sources, paleo relies on high-quality fats instead of carbohydrates as the main source of energy. Paleo diet uses mainly plain water as the main source of liquid.
Fat has many calories but does not automatically metabolized. On the contrary, the body learns to use the fat as a source of energy instead of store it, when the presence of carbs is in the low state. It is important that you use high-quality fats, such as coconut oil.
Is paleo diet healthy for weight loss?
Yes, because the diet actually consumes natural foods rather than a processed ones. But one fact you should know that there is not a single diet plan that has been claimed as the best. It depends on the actual condition of the person, and what is the purpose behind it.
The most important thing is, it should be considered as a healthy living habit rather than a weight loss programs. Nutritional style and other common diets are just for ensuring our body to keep the calorie balance and enough daily intake nutrition.
If you are doing weight loss program and try this paleo diet plan, then make sure to accompanied with proper exercise. You can’t get a result out of thin air without burning more calories on your body than calories that you have actually consumed.
Paleo diet pros and cons
At first glance, these are not to be underestimated restrictions, which we get into when we opt for a paleo diet. “Diet” means all a form of nutrition, because people used to referring for slimming purposes, paleo is just as much or as not suitable as other, permanent nutritional concepts.
On the other hand, paleo can improve the quality of life and nutrition-related health of a person. Let’s face the pros and cons of each other and start with the positive sides of this Stone Age diet.
- One of the biggest ingredients is vegetables. People who relying food on this diet have much more vegetables than people who still saturate themselves with foods containing carbohydrates. The vitamin balance of people who orient themselves on the Paleo diet is thus much higher.
- Since Paleo is dispensed with highly processed foods, there is also a lower risk of taking unwanted food additives, which can cause migraines and development of carcinogenic agent.
- The diet is comparatively simple, the recipes also suitable for cooking beginners.
- Due to the lack of carbohydrates, which are also responsible for the sugar balance in the human body, the blood sugar level does not increase and decrease rapidly here. Ideal for diabetics.
- Paleo also basically includes the consumption of a lot of meat and fish. It is not suitable for 100% vegetarians. Doctors also warn that the effects of high meat consumption over a longer period are not currently foreseeable.
- The Paleo diet is based on the fact that high-quality and uncontaminated organic food and meat from biological-ecological livestock farming as well as freshwater and saltwater fish consumption. However, a nutritional form like this is not to be underestimated and is inevitably reflected in increasing the budget.
- The diet according to Paleo can be quite time-consuming and requires all a well-planned changeover. Your body must be slowly accustomed to a grainless diet.
For sure, Paleo is primarily about nutritional style. If you want to gain maximum benefits of the Paleo diet, and for your weight loss plan, you should also adapt your lifestyle. In concrete terms this means, to move your body out! Our ancestors spent the day by collecting and hunting their food, vegetables, and fishes.
That’s why they were tirelessly on their feet and lean body. Your diet has allowed you to withstand these extreme strains.
So, Paleo diet definition also includes “movement” as a hidden message. But you don’t have to jog for 3 hours, though. Instead, you can try to do a little home-workout every day. Maybe ride the bike to work, if possible, or walk with friends in your weekend rather than just stay at home.